Deep renewal of the Alexander Dubček Primary School
About the activity
As part of the project, an in-depth renovation of the public building of the Alexander Dubček Primary School at 62 Majernikova Street in Bratislava is planned, using innovative adaptation and mitigation measures.
The aim is to increase the building’s resilience to climate change, its energy efficiency and to improve the living conditions for children and primary school staff. At present, the condition of the building is characterized by very high energy consumption, high water consumption and poor indoor air quality. During sunny days, the building overheats, as it has a large area of roofs and unshaded windows.
In-depth reconstruction works will include, for example: reconstruction and insulation of the roof structure, thermal insulation of perimeter walls, installation of a system with air recuperation, implementation of a small green roof above the building entrance (according to a static assessment, a green roof on the main roof of the building is not possible) irrigated by rainwater, creation of a system of secondary use of sanitary rainwater with the help of an underground retention tank, location of renewable energy sources – photovoltaic panels and solar panels, modification of distribution for heat distribution for swimming pools in primary schools with regard to solar system and OPV, connection to the system MaR, installation of measuring and control systems for measuring and monitoring energy consumption / emissions, modernization of heating systems, hydraulic regulation of the heating system, renovation and replacement of windows and doors, shading by artificial elements (fixed shading from the outside of the building, movable shading elements interior and exterior), green revitalization of the inner atriums of the school with a system of fresh air intake from the atriums, where new greenery of various hydro-accumulation capacity will be planted with an emphasis on the support of biodiversity.
Adaptation measures for biodiversity will include the installation of nest boxes for umbrellas on the building’s façade.
Project activity indicators: annual reduction of CO₂ emissions by 130.97 t CO₂ eq. (1,047.73 t CO₂ / 8 years), 15 climate change mitigation and adaptation measures will be implemented.
What we have done so far
- November 2020 – January 2021 – Implementation of public procurement for construction contractor.
- February 2021 – April 2021 – Preparatory work before starting the implementation of deep renovation of the building. Assembling a work team on the builder’s side to supervise the implementation of work. Consultations with the contractor, preparation of work schedule.
- May 2021 – June 2021 – Framework Agreement with the Contractor signed. Preparation of the first Work contract for deep renovation and insulation of the roof and reconstruction of the room for the Community Education Centre for Climate and Biodiversity.
- August 2021 – November 2021 – Preparation of public procurement for the construction supervision, termination of public procurement. Communication with the construction designer, construction contractor, construction supervisor and investor regarding the necessary modifications to the project documentation for starting works on the deep renovation of the roof.
- December 2021 – Beginning of construction work on the reconstruction and insulation of the roofs of the building and on the reconstruction of the room to create a new space for the Community Center for Climate and Biodiversity in the premises of the elementary school with a special entrance from Ľ.Fullu street. The insulation of the roof has been completed.
- January – March 2022 – Beginning of construction work on the insulation of the perimeter walls of the building, replacement of opening structures, air conditioning and solar energy.
- April – June 2022 – Beginning of construction work on the replacement of the opening structures in the atria and construction work related to external shading. Finished construction work on the insulation of the roof of the building and the newly created room for the Community Center for Climate and Biodiversity.
- July – August 2022 – Beginning of construction works regarding health technology, use of rainwater, photovoltaics, lighting and internal power distribution.
- September – November 2022 – Construction work continues regarding the use of solar energy, health technology, photovoltaics, insulation of perimeter walls, air conditioning.