As part of the project, a Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity will be built and opened. The basic goal of creating the center is to increase the environmental awareness of the population and strengthen the community as part of a strategy to increase the resilience of urban settlements to climate change.
WHAT TO PROVIDE
The center will provide space and educational materials explaining the need and possibilities for achieving urban climate resilience. Education will be focused on explaining practical measures to mitigate the impact or. adaptation to climate change (adaptation) and mitigation of climate change (mitigation), with a focus on biodiversity protection. The center will include an interactive exhibition of functional prototypes of models, which will use examples to illustrate the effects of climate change and explain adaptation and mitigation measures.
WHO WILL IT SERVE
(a) for the public concerned: as an advisory and training center in carrying out the renovation of residential buildings, public buildings and public spaces. It is important that the presented measures can be replicated in other residential areas in other cities not only in Slovakia but also in other European cities.
b) for schools: as a space for education in the environmental field with a focus on climate change issues. On the one hand as a part of regular teaching (natural history, work teaching), on the other hand as a supplementary education. The Norwegian partner Biotext also participates in the provision of educational activities.
c) for the professional community: as a space for professional workshops and lectures to share knowledge and experience. The Norwegian partner Biotext also participates in the provision of educational activities.
d) for local governments: as a space for discussions and meetings aimed at sharing experiences in the preparation and implementation of measures to increase the resilience of urban settlements to climate change.
e) for the local community: for informal groups of citizens, civic associations – as a space for meeting and exchanging experiences in building community activities, primarily focused on environmental activities.
The Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity will be established in the interior of the A. Dubček Primary School (room with a separate entrance and indoor atriums) and in the exterior of the Majerníkova Sports Complex (demonstrations of activities to support biodiversity in practice, gazebo for outdoor educational activities). Its activities will be managed by the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves.
The center will consist of an outer and an inner zone:
1. Outer zone:
1.1. Exposition in the inner atrium of the primary school: atrium on the left – a combination of panels and 3D exhibits. Installation of models illustrating the impacts of climate change on residential areas and possible adaptation and mitigation measures.
1.2. Exposition in the inner atrium of the primary school: atrium on the right – a space dedicated to the cultivation of edible fruits and the promotion of biodiversity with a water element. Installation of a model to demonstrate sustainable water management.
1.3. Exposition in the sports complex on Majerníková – information path on the support of biodiversity – each element will be marked with an information board within the complex. Gazebo for outdoor educational activities with a demonstration of rainwater capture.
2. Inner zone:
2.1. Foyer of the main entrance to the school building – information panels in front of the atrium
2.2. Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity – presentation room with computer, data projector, tables and chairs, with a separate entrance from Ľ.Fullu Street
The expected result is:
– raising awareness of the consequences of climate change and biodiversity loss, as well as of opportunities, measures and technologies that should help to increase climate resilience and ensure the quality of the urban environment, even in a changing climate.
– increasing the motivation and support of the population in the process of preparation and implementation of measures aimed at adaptation to climate change and mitigation of its consequences in the housing estates of the Municipality Bratislava – Karlova Ves.
Project activity indicators: implemented 1 social measure
Education and awareness
The aim of this activity is:
1) to raise the awareness of local residents of the Municipality Bratislava – Karlova Ves and the general public about:
– the effects of climate change,
– the need for and importance of a balanced approach to mitigation and adaptation measures,
2) communicate and inform about:
– the project, its objectives, the activities carried out, the progress made,
– financial support for a project from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021 under the SK-Climate program,
– cooperation with a Norwegian partner in the implementation of the project
Project activity indicators: 3 press conferences organized, 21 journalists participating, project website created, visited 10,800 times, 90 printed / web / radio / television media outlets published, 3 billboards installed, 1 roll-up, 100 information leaflets produced and 3 created presentations.back