Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity
About the activity
As part of the project, a Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity (CoCliBEC) will be created. The main role of the center will be to promote building of the low-carbon communities resilient to climate change. It will offer space and educational materials to explain the need and possibilities to reach urban climate resilience, balancing the mitigation and adaptation efforts in residential areas, including the biodiversity protection. It will foster the community life and serve to raise awareness of inhabitants of residential areas about the climate change threats and existing solutions.
WHO WILL THE CENTER SERVE
- a) for the public concerned: as an advisory and training center in carrying out the renovation of residential buildings, public buildings and public spaces. It is important that the presented measures could be replicated in other residential areas in other cities not only in Slovakia but also in other European cities.
- b) for schools: as a space for education in the environmental field with a focus on climate change issues, as part of regular teaching (science, work teaching) or supplementary education. The Norwegian partner Biotext will also be involved in the implementation of educational activities.
- c) for the professional public: as a space for organizing professional workshops and lectures in order to share knowledge and experience. These activities will be organized with the participation of the Norwegian partner Biotext.
- d) for local governments (municipalities): as a space for discussions and meetings aimed at sharing experiences in the preparation and implementation of measures to increase the resilience of urban settlements to climate change.
- e) for the local community (informal groups of citizens, civic associations): as a space for meeting and exchanging experiences in organizing community activities, primarily focused on environmental issues.
WHERE THE CENTER WILL BE LOCATED
The Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity will be located on the premises of the Alexander Dubcek Primary School at 62 Majernikova Street in Bratislava and the neighboring sports and recreational area Majernikvoa. It will consist of an indoor zone – a presentation room with a separate entrance and inner atriums and an outdoor zone – an exhibition with demonstrations of activities to promote biodiversity.
The activities of the center will be managed by the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves.
The center will consist of an outer and an inner zone:
- Outer zone:
1.1. Exposition in the inner atrium of the primary school: atrium on the left – a combination of panels and 3D exhibits. Installation of models illustrating the impacts of climate change on residential areas and possible adaptation and mitigation measures.
1.2. Exposition in the inner atrium of the primary school: atrium on the right – a space dedicated to the cultivation of edible fruits and the promotion of biodiversity with a water element. Installation of a model to demonstrate sustainable water management.
1.3. Exposition in the sports complex on Majernikova – information path on the support of biodiversity – each element will be marked with an information board within the complex. Gazebo for outdoor educational activities with a demonstration of rainwater capture.
- Inner zone:
2.1. Foyer of the main entrance to the school building – information panels in front of the atrium
2.2. Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity – presentation room with computer, data projector, tables and chairs, with a separate entrance from L. Fullu Street
EXPECTED RESULTS OF THE CENTER
– raising awareness of the consequences of climate change and biodiversity loss, as well as of opportunities, measures and technologies that should help to increase climate resilience and ensure the quality of the urban environment, even in a changing climate.
– increasing the motivation and support of the population in the process of preparation and implementation of measures aimed at adaptation to climate change and mitigation of its consequences in the housing estates of the Municipality Bratislava – Karlova Ves.
Project activity indicators: implemented 1 social measure
What we have done so far
- November 2020 – December 2020 – Detailed plan of the Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity prepared, communication with potential partners realized.
- January 2021 – April 2021 – Documents for the announcement of public procurement and obtaining the estimated value of the contract for the production of exhibits of the center pepared.
- May 2021 – June 2021 – Construction work on the reconstruction of the centre’s premises was competed as part of the in-depth renovation of Primary Scholl A. Dubceka, a framework contract with the winner supplier was signed, public tender for the production of the centre’s interactive exhibits was announced.
- July 2021 – August 2021 – Description of the subject of the contract for the implementation of public procurement for the internal layout and equipment of the center was prepared, operating rules of the center and a job description for the administrator of the center was prepared.
- September 2021 – November 2021 – Consultations with the contractor of the renovation of the school building were carried out, modifications during the reconstruction of the center’s presentation room with regard to hygienic standards and ergonomics were proposed, public procurement for the delivery of a comprehensive service (layout design and interior equipment) was prepared, announced and completed.
- December 2021 – Contract with the winner of the procurement for the renovation of the Primary School A. Dubceka was signed, reconstruction of the roof of the primary school building and the presentation room of the Community Education Center for Climate and Biodiversity started.
- January – May 2022 – Construction work is in progress in the newly created room, work continues for KVC equipment, submission of the architectural design of the room, models and information panels.
- June – August 2022 – Completed construction work on the newly created room for the Community Center for Climate and Biodiversity. Work continues on KVC equipment and furniture, work continues on the production of models and information panels.